How to become a pilot in India after 12th? Requirements, Exam, Salary? All misconceptions Explained
Do you have a dream to become a pilot? But Confused regarding How to become a pilot in India after the 12th? This blog will answer all your queries and provide a clear vision towards a successful career path of a pilot.
To become a successful pilot, you need to pursue a pilot training course after completing class 12. In case you want to become an Air force pilot then you must qualify for the NDA exam. Usually, the key requirement ṭo become a pilot is to pass class 12th. This blog will explain all the details and misconceptions related to becoming a pilot.
If you want proper guidance in this respect then get the information from the experts on the SeekEx app. The existing pilots and experts in the aviation field are present on the SeekEx app to help you out with all your queries and show you the right career path to become a pilot.
Who is a Pilot?
- 1 Who is a Pilot?
- 2 Qualifications to become a pilot
- 3 How to become a pilot in India after the 12th?
- 4 How to become a pilot in India after 12th standard even if you had commerce or arts?
- 5 List of Institutes from where you can get a pilot degree
- 6 How SeekEx helps to become a pilot in India after 12th?
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
The professionals who have in-depth training for flying different types of aircraft are known as pilots. Different types of aircraft require different specialisations and for that, there are varied types of courses for pilots. Whether it is about learning to operate various types of aircrafts such as goods aircraft, mail aircraft, good aircraft, and passenger aircraft or maintaining the internal mechanism of an aircraft, a course provides learning about everything. If you also want to know how to become a pilot in India after the 12th, then read this blog completely.
Types of Pilots
On the basis of the subjects and streams that a pilot selects, the types of a pilot depend. All those who want to know how to become a pilot in India after the 12th must remain aware of different types of pilots in India. These are:
- Airline Pilot: This is the most popular pilot course after the 12th. An airline pilot is responsible to fly the airlines that carry passengers and cargo on a fixed schedule at a larger distance across the world. This is considered as one of the famous career options for those who want to find out how to become a pilot in India after 12th.
- Commercial Pilot: Usually, commercial or regional pilots are the ones who fly within a region or at short distances and carry passengers or cargo. This career option is mostly preferred by younger aspirants because it involves fewer overnight trips and they can stay near to their homes.
- Corporate Pilots: If you are one who wants to know how to become a pilot in India after 12th, then becoming a corporate pilot is a great option. They are responsible for flying smaller corporate turboprops and jets. Mostly they are employed by private enterprises or individuals for assisting corporate executives to travel to meetings.
- Fighter Pilot: The fighter pilot is known as a military pilot and it is one of the great career options for those who want to work for the country. If you want to find out how to become a pilot in India after 12th then you can also consider becoming a fighter pilot. Fighter pilots work for the army and are responsible for flying military aircraft. They are the ones who transport military cargo and riders. Besides that, they are also involved in aerial combat.
- Charter Pilot: Those pilots who are responsible to fly travellers to some specific destinations are known as charter pilots. At times they are also referred to as Air Taxi. Some pilots prefer to operate their own private charter company or work for other charter companies.
You May Like: How to join Indian army after 12th for female Easily?
Qualifications to become a pilot
You must meet the eligibility requirements that are set by the institute or the academy to enrol in any of the aviation courses. So, all those who want to determine how to become a pilot in India after the 12th must know about the qualifications required to become a pilot. Here is the list of the eligibility requirements:
- The age of the candidate should not be less than 17 years before starting the training process.
- In class 12th, you need to score at least 50% marks. The minimum marks requirement may vary as per institutes.
- You must have Maths, Physics, Chemistry along with English in class 12.
- In case you are a non-science student, then you are required to pursue these subjects from National Institute open schooling or from a state board as a private student.
- A medical certificate by the authorities is mandatory.
Height requirement for pilot
Among other qualifications for pilots, height is one of the major factors. Different institutes and academies have different requirements. Majorly, the requirements can be segregated into two categories: Height requirements for commercial pilots and Height requirements for Air Force pilots.
- Height requirements for Commercial Pilots
Commercial Pilot Licence(CPL) doesn’t have any minimum height requirement. To obtain the licence the candidate has to pass written examinations in five different papers. Further, they have to clear the radiotelephone oral and practical tests. Moreover, a commercial pilot has to complete minimum flying hours of 200 hours in 5 years duration. Therefore, if you were wondering how to become a pilot in India after 12th and if there’s any minimum height requirement then you must know that less height may be a disadvantage for you but it can’t stop you from becoming a pilot.
- Height requirements for Air force Pilot
To become an air force pilot, apart from basic pilot eligibility, height plays an important role. The air force has a very tough selection process and there are many eligibility criteria that one has ṭo meet to get recruited as an air force pilot. If you are someone who wants to know how to become a pilot in India after 12th and what are the requirements for becoming an airforce pilot then check out the height requirement first. Different branches of the Air Force has different requirement so let’s check out all of them one by one:
- Flying branch: The minimum height requirement for both men and women is 162.5cms. There’s no exception for any age, sex, or region. The leg length must be a minimum of 99cms and a maximum of 120 cm. The sitting height should be 81.5cms for getting into the Air force.
- Ground Duty: In the case of both technical and non-technical branches the minimum acceptable height for males is 157.5cms and for women is 152cms. Although a relaxation of 5cms and 2cms is provided respectively to men and women from some specific regions. It is one of the main qualifications to become a pilot.
How to become a pilot in India after the 12th?
Basically, two main routes are available for those who are wondering how to become a pilot in India after the 12th. Ṭhe first one is very common that is civil aviation while the other one is Airforce. Let’s take a look at both of these routes :
- Civil Aviation
Civil aviation is one of the routes that those students can choose who wants to become a pilot but don’t know how to become a pilot in India after 12th. This is a non-military route and you can become a pilot with a commercial pilot training program.To take civil aviation as your career option, you must know what to study to become a pilot after 12th. The key element is gaining a commercial pilot certification from a certified authority. In India Directorate of general of civil aviation in India is the certified authority which issues the licence. By gaining the licence you will be able to fly a specific aircraft for an airline. The types of aircraft will again depend on the course that you have done in the commercial pilot training program.The basic requirement to pursue these courses is you must have completed your class 12th in the science stream. Flying schools offer a variety of civil aviation courses. The top flying school across the world are CAE oxford aviation academy, CTC wings Europe, flight safety academy, etc.
- Indian Air Force(Defence)If you want to get into defence services and become a pilot in the forces but wondering how to become a pilot in India after the 12th, then you should consider this option. Though the admission process is quite tough and the candidate has to undergo rigorous training of 3 years at the National Defence Academy after getting selected in NDA. These are steps to get into the Indian Air force:● Entrance exam: Once a candidate completes his class 12 they have to appear for the pilot entrance exam. In the case of India, it is the NDA exam. After the candidate qualifies in the NDA exam then they are eligible to join the flying branch of the Indian Air force.
● Interview: If you are wondering how to become a pilot in India, then you must remain aware that qualifying in the NDA exam is noṭ enough, you have to also face an SSB interview. It is conducted in two stages, one is an officer intelligence test and another one is a psychological test.● Pilot Aptitude Test: If you’re able to successfully qualify in the first two rounds, then comes the pilot aptitude test that has both written and machine tests. The main purpose of these tests is to assess the candidate’s mental strength and decision-making abilities.● Medical examination: The final round of the process is the medical examination where the candidate’s height, weight, and eyesight are examined by medical professionals.
Once you complete and qualify through all these steps then you can successfully become a pilot in India. The choice of route to becoming a pilot depends on your budget, preferences, and interests. Whatever route interests you, you must take advice from the career experts before making any decision. Let’s have a look at different aspects of the pilot career option:
What to study to become a pilot after 12th?
There are lots of courses available that a student who wants to become a pilot can choose. If you want to know how to become a pilot in India after the 12th then the first thing that you must know is what to study for becoming a pilot after the 12th. To become an airline pilot, you need to get a bachelor’s degree in any subject. However, to become a commercial pilot you should gain a high school diploma or equivalent. Many flight schools are a part of the universities or institutions that provide a degree in aviation or aeronautics.
Pilot Courses after 12th
- Commercial Pilot Licence program
One of the popular ways of becoming a pilot is obtaining a commercial pilot licence after completing class 12. All those who want to find out how to become a pilot in India after the 12th must know that this is the best way out. To get into this training program, the candidate has to clear a pilot entrance exam after 12th in India. Apart from that, you have to also clear interviews, and medical tests held as per the institution you opt to get in the training programs.
- NDA exam
Another famous route to becoming a pilot is to qualify for the NDA exam. Once you qualify for the NDA exam, you have to study a 3-year long course and attend the training classes before becoming a full-fledged pilot. Upon completion of the course, you will be working as a permanent commission officer. So, all those who want to know how to become a pilot in India after 12th can choose this option.
Fees of Pilot courses after 12th
Commercial Pilot training is one of the common ways that students prefer to take for becoming pilots after completion of their class 12. Apart from clearing the entrance exam, interview, and a medical test scheduled by the institute, the candidates have to pay fees for the training process. The pilot courses after 12th fees range from 15 Lakhs INR to 20 Lakhs INR. The amount of fees depends on the institution and the country you select for studying. If you want to study in India then some of the popular institutes are the National Flying training institute, Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Academy, Madhya Pradesh flying club, Bombay flying club, and Rajiv Gandhi Academy of Aviation Technology.
Salary of Pilot in India
Salary is one of the main components of any career option. All those who want to find out how to become a pilot in India after the 12th must remain aware of the salaries that Indian Pilots can expect to get. Out of the different job profiles, definitely, commercial pilot salary in India is the best. A pilot who has completed 250 hours of flying can expect a salary of around 1.5 L to 2 Lakhs. However, the salary of a pilot in India who is recruited by the Indian Airforce gets an annual package of 5-8 Lakhs.
How to become a pilot in India after 12th standard even if you had commerce or arts?
Often children dream of becoming a pilot when they grow up. Gradually with time, their wish to become a pilot subsides. It’s known that science in class 12 is mandatory to get into the pilot’s profession. Due to some reasons, students may end up passing their 12th in commerce or arts subjects. Many students get motivated to become a pilot by the salary of commercial pilots in India which is quite impressive
Can commerce students become pilots?
This is a common question that may arise in the minds of the commerce or art students who want to become a pilot even after pursuing their 12th in commerce or arts stream.
What can commerce/arts students do?
These days across the internet there is a hoax that even commerce and arts stream students can become a pilot. Never get trapped in such a hoax. There’s where you will need an expert opinion.
According to DGCA, the minimum requirement to be a commercial pilot is passing class 12 or any equivalent examination with Mathematics and Physics. In the case of commerce or art students, they can obtain a private pilot licence but this licence will not allow them to become a commercial pilot.
Those commerce and arts students who want to know how to become a pilot in India after 12th in commerce/arts can appear for Maths and physics exam from any board or university like NIOS, ICSE, etc. as private students. Don’t worry about the percentage, all you need is to pass in these subjects to become eligible for applying for commercial pilots in India.
List of Institutes from where you can get a pilot degree
Globally recognized institutes:
- University of North Dakota
- Purdue University
- Hallmark University
- San Jose State University
- Ohio State University
- Academy College
- Spartan College of Aeronautics and Technology
- Singapore flying college
- CAE Oxford Aviation Academy
- Rio Salado College
- Flight Safety Academy
- Aeroism Flight Academy
- Bombay Flying Club
- National Flying Training Institute
- Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Academy
- Madhya Pradesh Flying Club
- Rajiv Gandhi Academy of Aviation Technology
- Ahmedabad Aviation and Aeronautics limited
- Indigo Cadet Training Program
- Orient Flying school
- Institute of Aviation and Aviation safety
- Puducherry Thakur college of Aviation
- Government Aviation Training Institute
- Institute of Aviation and Aviation safety
How SeekEx helps to become a pilot in India after 12th?
Often students have a dream to become a pilot from their childhood. Some may fulfil but most of them can’t take the right path just because they keep trying to find out how to become a pilot in India after the 12th. Now, things have become quite simple. With some easy steps, students can directly get a consultation from existing pilots or experienced career counsellors who are available on the SeekEx app. The experts will provide a complete overview of the career of a pilot and provide information about how to become a pilot in India.
SeekEx has the students pursuing pilot courses as consultants. One who wants to find out how to become a pilot in India after the 12th can directly avail their consultation and check out the colleges and courses to pursue. Therefore, SeekEx plays a vital role in helping you decide whether you can have a successful career in this field or not. And if you wish to become a pilot then get complete guidance for that too.
Hope this blog has provided an overview of all the details regarding how to become a pilot in India after the 12th. The students with a science background will get an idea of how to proceed in the journey of becoming a pilot. However, in this blog, we have also discussed how commerce or art students can also opt for a pilot career.
Still, if you have any queries regarding how to become a pilot in India after 12th or what’s the right admission procedures then feel free to get in touch with experts on the SeekEx app. Get complete guidance on SeekEX and have a dream career as a pilot!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a commerce student become a pilot without Physics?
Yes, a commerce student can become a pilot without physics if they again appear for the physics and Maths exam from any board or university like NIOS privately.
2. Can Arts students become pilots?
Yes, an arts student can become a pilot only if they appear and pass in Maths and Physics separately from any board or university like NIOS.
3. Can I become a Pilot without Science?
One can become a pilot without science only if they privately appear for Maths and Physics exam from any board or recognized university.
4. Which Subject is best for the Pilot?
If you want to become a pilot then you must study Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in class 12 and also score at least 50% marks in them.
5. Which stream is best to become a Pilot?
As per the eligibility criteria mentioned by DGCA, the science stream is best to become a pilot.
6. How long does it take to become a pilot?
It takes around 3 to 4 years to become a pilot. The duration depends on the college/institute and the course you are pursuing to become a pilot.