Sop for Canada: How to make your application stand out
Canada is one of the top countries that Indian students prefer for higher education. Statement of Purpose(SOP) is a vital part of the application process to study in Canada. SOP is required as a mandatory document in the university of Canada as well as for obtaining a student visa. Often students find writing SOP quite a complex task. In this blog, you can find all the details about SOP and how you can write a good SOP for Canada.
If you are not well versed about the details to add in the statement of purpose or you’re confused about the format to use then you must always seek the guidance of experts on the SeekEx app. They will guide you to write the perfect SOP and increase the chances of getting accepted into the top universities of Canada.
What is SOP?
- 1 What is SOP?
- 2 What is SOP in visa and SOP in universities
- 3 SOP Samples for Canada
- 4 How to write SOP for Canada?
- 5 How to make your SOP for Canada stand out?
- 6 How SeekEx helps in Writing SOP for Canada?
- 7 Final Remarks
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
The statement of purpose(SOP) is a letter that is written by students who want admission to various international institutions across the world. It specifies the student’s academic and professional achievements and highlights the career goals and the reason to choose a specific course in that particular country’s institution.
Suppose a student wants admission to any institution in Canada then they need to write an SOP for Canada. The contents of the SOP will change as the country or course changes. Basically, the purpose of writing an SOP is to help the admission panel to evaluate the student’s subject knowledge, career goals, and future vision clearly. With the help of SOP, institutions can easily find out why they should choose a candidate over other applicants even when they have secured the same marks in the tests.
What is SOP in visa and SOP in universities
Usually, a statement of purpose is written for admission in University. While choosing the best country to study abroad for Indian Students, Canada is prominent candidate. In the case of Canada, SOP is written separately for VISA and universities. SOP for a Canada student visa differs from the SOP for the Canadian University application. That’s because both the SOP deals with different aspects and fulfils different requirements.
The statement of purpose for a Canadian student visa is comparatively easier than the statement of purpose for Canada’s universities. The SOP for a visa is usually an essay where you need to mention the reasons for selecting Canada as a destination to study and why you have selected that particular university or course.
In the case of SOP for Canadian universities, the candidate has to write three short essays or short videos that justify the application. You can also submit the photographs to support the answers provided for the questions. Often the SOP for Canada Universities also mentions that the essays should portray the uniqueness of the students so that they can stand out from others.
So, while writing a statement of purpose for the universities, you must reflect on your most pertinent experiences in the SOP. Moreover, it’s necessary to ensure that the SOP is not generalised and focused on the program curriculum and your expectations from it. Let’s discuss both types of SOP for Canada one by one in detail.
SOP for Canada Student Visa
Out of these two types of SOPs, the SOP for Canada student visa is of greater importance as it is the one that decides whether you will have the chance of studying in Canada or not. The Canadian Visa officers don’t ask every applicant to come for the visa interview. Usually, the application for the visa is evaluated on the basis of the SOP written by the applicant. An ideal statement of purpose for a Canadian Visa should include the following things:
- It should address all the questions in the same place and those answers should reflect your individuality. The introduction in the SOP for Canada matters a lot as the visa officer will continue reading the SOP only when the introduction is good.
- Firstly mention your reason to apply to study in Canada. In this mention why you have selected Canada over the USA, UK, Australia, and other countries.
- The next important thing that you must mention in the SOP for Canada is the reason to apply to a particular university in Canada. Just focusing on the university’s rank and reputation is not enough. You must mention how your program choice and affordability is linked to the course offered by the university.
- Once you have mentioned the reason to choose the particular university, now comes the choice of program. You must mention in SOP for Canada, your motivation and what enhanced your interest in the program.
- In case you have a gap year then address it very carefully in your statement of purpose. Canada is very strict about the gap years so you must explain the reason for the gap year in detail in your SOP for Canada.
- You should never mention that you have plans to stay back in Canada. Your emphasis should be on returning to your country and also mention your long-term plans in your country.
- Whether your parents are going to fund your studies or you have obtained a scholarship or sponsorship, it must be clearly mentioned in your SOP for Canada study visa. Attach relevant documents like bank statements and letters to clearly depict your financial support.
You May Like: Top scholarships for studying abroad for Indian students in 2022
SOP for Canada Universities
The SOP for Canada student visa is quite crucial and includes all the formal details. However, SOP for Canada universities is more personal and has a different approach. Moreover, the approach for each University also varies. Here are a few elements that must be included in the SOP for universities:
- Academic Scores: Academic scores are one of the key criteria of selection in a particular university. The academic scores matter even more if the student is seeking admission in business and engineering programs. So, if you want to apply to such programs then definitely mention your academic scores and experiences in your SOP for Canada and get an edge.
- Culture: Those students who want to apply for programs like public administration and social service should mention their community cultures and the act of volunteering in different events. It is a mandatory aspect that must be mentioned in every PG applicant of public administration and social service.
- Work Experience: If you wish to study at Canadian Universities like UBC, UToronto then you must have relevant work experience of at least 2 years if you are applying in their PG programs. Also, mention a specific area of interest and expectations from the program in the SOP for Canada.
Why is SOP for Canada important?
Numerous top universities of the world are located in Canada. As a result, a huge number of students prefer to study in these institutions and thus apply to these institutions every year. In that scenario, a well-written SOP for Canada will become the deciding factor for the evaluators. The SOP is the only way by which evaluators can interact with the applicants and know about their goals and expectations. A good SOP increases the chances of getting a Canadian VISA and admission to the desired university in Canada.
SOP Samples for Canada
(Insert anecdote that inspired you to pursue the course of your choice). Realizing this, I decided to take up ………………. for my undergraduate studies, so that I can be a part of this change to make our society a better place to live in.
Having completed my schooling from School Name, City/State, I gradually flourished as a versatile person. My temperament for my favourite subjects can be easily understood by looking at my score of XX% in that subject. Soon, I developed a flair for ……………. My interest has evolved into a determination to study the subject deeply and do some valuable research in the field. Therefore, my quest to attain knowledge landed me at XYZ Specialisation to start my journey in the …………… industry.
For my under-graduation, I opted for a Bachelor’s degree in …………………….., and completed it with Honours. I continued my studies and moved forward with XXX from the same university. (Insert further information about your academic background here).
After the completion of my Bachelor’s studies, I decided to enter the corporate world. I passed the difficult written and personal interview rounds and was eventually selected as XXX at ABC organisation, City. My invaluable academic knowledge helped me to successfully deliver all crucial assignments related to …………….. My performance soon gave my Manager confidence and I was given the opportunity to lead the team, and got promoted to ………………
Having done the rigorous groundwork in both theoretical and practical engineering, now I think I am in a position to delve into the realm of higher studies. My passion for the subject, XXX, its practical application, and my current work experience, based on XXX, will help me in pursuing a Master’s degree, to obtain a better understanding, and will lead to a promising career.
Also, my work experience demands higher education for getting a higher technical level role, so a graduate course, at this stage of my career, will definitely help me to achieve key technical profiles and attractive pay packages.
Post Master’s, I would like to work as a XXX at a renowned organization like XXX. This role will help me learn ……………………., which will lead me to my long term goal, to work as a XXX or XXX at XXX company. Eventually, I envision myself as a …………………………….., leading resources and teams at an organisation like ABC.
(Insert university-specific information here; give specific reasons why you have chosen this particular university – like course curriculum, faculty, facilities, other opportunities etc.). Thus, I wish to nourish myself at the prestigious University of XXX, Canada, and undertake research in the field of XXX.
Apart from academics, I was always involved in various extracurricular activities like ……………… Such participation taught me skills like teamwork, leadership, and organisational ability, and how to contribute to the community.
(Write a suitable conclusion) It is with this in mind that I am looking forward to a long and rewarding relationship with you. Thank you for considering my candidature as a prospective graduate student at your renowned institution.
Template Credit: Shiksha Study
How to write SOP for Canada?
There are quite simple steps that you need to follow to write an SOP for Canada. Below you can find the elements that you must write in your statement of purpose along with the tips that can make your SOP stand out from others:
Before learning how to write SOP for Canada, you must remain well versed with their requirements and what they expect from you. It’s advised that you plan in advance about your writing so that you can give equal importance to each part. Below listed are the steps that you must follow while writing SOP for Canada:
Of course, the introduction is the part of the SOP that is the most important as it will decide whether the evaluator will continue reading it or not. Always start with an attractive statement when you write your SOP for Canada. It can be a quote from a famous author or a theme or something big that will make the reader curious to read the letter further. Though it is advisable to keep the introduction short and crisp.
- Academic Achievements
Starting from high school scores to undergraduate degree scores, each one matters for getting shortlisted. You should make a table and mention your academic scores in your SOP for Canada. In case you have some outstanding achievements that should be added in a separate section. All the details regarding academic scores should be informative and explanatory. If you have any sort of gap in your education then mention the reason that can properly justify the gap.
As per the SOP guidelines for Canada Universities, you must have experience if you have opted for a PG program. You must include a list of all the internships and certification courses that you have done in the past. Also, write a paragraph mentioning the learnings that you gained from these experiences and how they have helped you to make a decision to pursue a certain program from Canada.
- Reasons of Interest
Before choosing a course, you must be aware of why you are choosing it over so many other programs. You need to describe the objectives of pursuing that particular course and what are your plans after completing the course. In the SOP for Canada, you should also mention the aspects that made you interested in it.
- Short term goals
While writing an SOP for Canada, you must mention the projects on which you want to work and the resources that you already have. To support your goal you can explain the previous projects that you have completed or any paper publications that you may have. You can also mention the significance of your research in the industry.
- Long Term goals
Apart from mentioning your short-term goals, it’s important to talk about your aspiration to become a professional. You should also mention the main purpose of choosing this course and the different prospects that are available for you. Besides that, you should also mention the growth in the industry and your long-term goals after completing the course.
- Reasons for selecting University
Including the reasons for selecting a university is mandatory in the SOP format for Canada student visas. Apart from discussing the rankings and achievements of that particular university, you must also mention how the course you are going to pursue from there has endless opportunities.
- Extra-Curricular Activities
Mentioning some sort of extracurricular activities in your SOP is always an added advantage. You can include hobbies like playing guitar or reading a book or something else that you love to do in your free time. Also, if possible relate the extracurricular activities with your main course profile.
Finally, come to the conclusion, while writing the conclusion, express your gratitude for getting an opportunity to apply and study at the University of Canada. Make sure to assure them that you will remain determined towards goals and work towards achieving them.
Thus these are steps that you must follow for writing an SOP for Canada successfully. At any point in time if you feel confused then you can take help from experts who will guide you throughout the steps and help you to write down one of the best pieces of the statement of purpose.
How to make your SOP for Canada stand out?
To make your SOP for Canada stand out, you must follow certain do’s and don’ts. While writing, make sure to follow the format and include every single thing that the evaluators are looking for. Your statement of purpose is something that differentiates you from other applicants. Besides that, a statement of purpose provides you with a chance to showcase your achievements and capabilities.
So, if you are ahead for a successful kick start then you must remember the basic do’s and don’ts. Here is the list of dos and don’ts for making your SOP for Canada stand out from others:
What to do in SOP?
- The introduction of the statement of purpose should be interesting so that the evaluator is interested to read it further.
- Always remain original, you should not ever try to copy somebody else’s statement of purpose.
- Mention your academic background, experiences, and future goals in detail. The experiences play an important role especially when you are applying for a master’s or higher course. In case you are applying for an undergraduate course, then focus on short-term goals.
- While writing the SOP for Canada, you must also mention your purpose of education and how it will impact your past, present, and future. Make sure you connect your goals and interests.
- The statement of purpose should be written in such a way that the admission committee is able to understand you and also get convinced that you can add value to society and contribute to your university in your field.
- Active voice should be used while writing SOP for Canada. This will ensure that you are able to convey the information in an effective manner and it also reflects that you are a person of a positive mindset and passion.
What Not to do in SOP?
- Always maintain the word limit while writing Canada SOP. You should not write more or less than the specified word limit. Also check the format, template, and font size that the university has asked for.
- Often many students make the mistake of using the same SOP for all the applications. You should make relevant changes according to the requirements of the university.
- You should not mention any personal information like certain situations or family backgrounds in your SOP for Canada. This sort of information is considered relevant in a statement of purpose.
- You may mention your academic scores but refrain from mentioning scores of SAT, GRE, IELTS, etc. as these are part of your application, and repetition of information can cause rejection of your application.
- While writing an SOP for Canada, you should avoid using common phrases or copied content. It’s advisable to include facts and reasons and examples that support them.
- The majority of SOPs get rejected because of the poor correlation of the beginning and end. So, you should not write in a manner that you are pleading because that usually puts off the admissions committee and they may reject your application.
- In the SOP for Canada never write any wrong information or fact nor hide any information.
Many students find writing SOP a challenging task. This task can be simplified if all these steps are properly followed. Make sure to follow all of the do’s and don’t mentioned here. This will enable you to escape mistakes in writing SOP and thus increase the chances of getting selected.
How SeekEx helps in Writing SOP for Canada?
Writing SOP for Canada is not a simple task. It involves lots of effort from the students. Often many students have to face rejection just because of poorly written SOP. There’s no need to worry, SeekEx provides you access to career experts who can guide you to write the perfect SOP.
SeekEx’s experts are well versed with the steps of writing SOP. So, first, they acquire information about you and then provide you guidance to write a clear SOP for both Visa and University. The experts will first perform a detailed analysis of your profile and offer you personalised tips to get admission to your dream University.
The statement of purpose is a mandatory document required whenever a student wants to study in a foreign university. If a student seeks admission to a Canadian University then the SOP is required for getting a Visa as well as for acquiring admission to the university.
The SOP for Canada should be drafted according to the formats provided by the specific universities. Every university has its own requirements so it’s essential to determine the requirements of the University you are willing to apply for and then make relevant changes in the SOP.
For drafting the best statement of purpose counselling and guidance of experts become essential. There comes the role of SeekEx. It offers access to the international education experts who guide in every way to draft a perfect SOP for Canada.
So, why to wait? Get guidance from experts on SeekEx and create a persuasive SOP that makes your application stand out!
Frequently Asked Questions
What to do and what not to do while writing SOP for Canada?
While writing SOP for Canada always include the valid reasons for your desire to study in that particular university. However, you must avoid copying SOP from other sources.
Is it possible to go to Canada to study without writing an SOP?
No, it is not possible to go to Canada to study without writing SOP as both for Canadian student visa and admission in University SOP is mandatory.
Is SOP strictly required for a Canadian student visa?
Yes, SOP is strictly required for a Canadian Student Visa.
Does the Visa Office read the written SOP?
Yes, the visa office reads the SOP and offers visas only when they are satisfied with your reason to study in a foreign university.
What are the essential elements of an SOP for Canada?
There are five significant elements for SOP for Canada: Introduction, Academic achievements, why selecting this course, why selecting this university, future career goals
Would you like to share your thoughts?