Best Automotive engineering courses in 2022 for Bright Future- SeekEx
Do automobiles fascinate you? Are you looking for a course to get into the automobile industry? This blog will answer all your queries related to the career in the rapidly growing automobile industry. Read the blog thoroughly to get complete insight about automotive engineering courses, colleges offering these courses, eligibility criteria to apply, and available career opportunities.
In this blog, you can find a comprehensive list of the best automotive engineering courses. Although this list is designed to help aspiring students determine the best courses, still students need expert advice to make an informed decision about the courses and colleges. The best way out is to approach career experts available on reputed career counselling platforms like SeekEx. The career experts will not only guide you to determine the best automotive engineering courses but they will also help you to explore all the available career opportunities.
What is an Automotive Engineering Course?
- 1 What is an Automotive Engineering Course?
- 2 Automotive Engineering Courses: Eligibility
- 3 Types of Automotive Engineering Courses
- 4 List of the Best Automotive Engineering Courses in 2022
- 5 Undergraduate Automotive Engineering Courses
- 6 Postgraduate Automotive Engineering Courses
- 7 Career opportunities in Automotive Engineering
- 8 List of Colleges for Pursuing Automotive Engineering Courses
- 9 How does SeekEx help?
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions
- 11.1 Which is the best automotive engineering course?
- 11.2 What job profiles are available after the automotive engineering course?
- 11.3 Is automotive engineering a good career option?
- 11.4 Can I opt for an automotive engineering course after the 12th?
- 11.5 What is the average salary of an automotive engineer?
Automotive engineering is a course that is dedicated to the research and development of technology used in the automotive industry. Today, it is a growing and competitive field among other engineering courses. Being an automotive engineer you deal with the design, development, manufacturing, and testing of different vehicles. Automobile engineering includes every step from concept to production. Hence, with a degree in automobile engineering, you can easily start your career in this field and have a demanding future as the scope of the automobile industry is increasing day by day across the world.
In an automotive engineering course, a variety of skills is fostered which includes software or hardware engineering, research and development across industries, equipment testing, sales, and a lot more. Majorly, the skills are imparted through a combination of theoretical and practical ways. Hence, after completing this engineering course, candidates can either choose to work the right way or continue to gain knowledge and skills through master’s courses. Usually, automotive engineering offers job opportunities in production plants, service stations, etc.
Automotive Engineering Courses: Eligibility
In the last decade, engineering is one of the most sought-after disciplines. Engineering courses render students various employment opportunities depending on their skills and merit. Among various branches of engineering, automotive engineering is one of the most preferred ones. In India, around 40,000 colleges and universities are present that offer students the opportunity to study engineering and have a great career. If you are someone who desires to study an automotive engineering course, then ensure you meet the eligibility criteria. Different types of automotive engineering courses have different eligibility requirements. Let’s check out the eligibility for each of them.
1. Certificate Automotive Engineering Courses- Eligibility
- Candidates desiring to take admission to the certificate courses must have completed their 12th grade preferably in the science stream from a recognised board.
- A large portion of the institutes offers certificate courses that are short term and admission is offered on a merit basis.
2. Diploma in Automotive Engineering-Eligibility
- A candidate has to pass 12th grade to pursue a diploma course in automotive engineering. However, students who have passed the 10th grade or SSC examination are also eligible depending on the college/institute they are applying to.
- The course duration of a diploma in an automotive engineering course is 3 years. Upon completion of the diploma course, candidates can directly apply to the second year of a bachelor’s in engineering.
- A candidate must score a minimum of 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics from a recognised board.
3.. Bachelor’s in Automotive Engineering-Eligibility
- A candidate must pass 12th grade or have completed a diploma course in automotive engineering after 10th grade.
- The candidates have to appear for Joint Entrance Examination to apply to a reputed engineering college in India.
- Several other engineering entrance exams are available that allow candidates to pursue automotive engineering courses from private or public colleges.
4. Master’s in Automotive Engineering- Eligibility
- The minimum score of 55% for a Bachelor’s in Automotive Engineering is required to apply for a Master’s in Automotive Engineering.
- Some institutions also require the candidate to clear the GATE examination and obtain the score required by a particular college/institution.
Types of Automotive Engineering Courses
The Automotive engineering field is quite diverse and there are lots of electives to choose from. This course covers various automobile engineering subjects like electronics instrumentation, fluid mechanics, component production, and electronic instrumentation. If a candidate is interested in these subjects then they can opt for the courses from any recognised institution. Automotive Engineering is available in various types like certificate courses, undergraduate courses, postgraduate courses, diploma courses, and doctorate courses. Each type of course in Automotive Engineering has different eligibility criteria and electives. So, according to your career map, you should make a choice of the right type of automotive engineering course for having a bright future.
List of the Best Automotive Engineering Courses in 2022
Certificate Automotive Engineering Courses
Certificate courses are short-duration courses that render brief knowledge and skills. In this field, numerous certificate courses are available for students who have completed their 12th grade from a recognised board. Usually, these automobile engineering courses are of short span ranging between 1 week to 12 months. These days most of the certificate courses are available on online platforms as well. Students get some fundamental knowledge about the subjects and are able to prepare themselves to explore this field. Here is the list of certificate courses in Automobile engineering:
1. Aftertreatment Technologies: It is a short-term course available on online platforms like Udemy. Through this course, a student gets an insight into after-treatment technologies. Although it is a short-term course it enables the students to have a brief understanding of the topic.
2. Hybrid Electric Vehicles: This automotive engineering course online deals with topics related to Hybrid Electric vehicles. In the certificate course, the students learn about the basics of topics like dynamics, designing engines, charging, exterior spacing, battery assembly, etc.
3. Software Testing and Automation: In this short-span certificate course, the candidates can obtain a basic knowledge of software testing technologies such as Maven. It renders knowledge to build a robust testing framework.
4. Electric Vehicle Design and Development: Anyone who is interested in electric vehicles and wants to learn about their design and development can pursue this certificate course. Although this automotive engineering course is a short-term course it imparts specific knowledge about the subject.
Diploma Automotive Engineering Courses
A diploma in Automotive Engineering is also a short-term course but the duration is more than that of the certificate courses. These automobile engineering courses range from 3 months to 2 years in full-time programs. The main objective of diploma courses is to impart skills and knowledge regarding automotive design. If you are interested in this field then you can opt for any of the diploma courses and shape your career.
1. Diploma in Automotive Engineering: It is a full-time 3 years diploma level course. This automotive engineering course comes under the sub-branch of Mechanical Engineering. Anyone who desires to pursue this program must complete 12th grade with 60% marks in aggregate and have mathematics and science as key subjects.
Most institutes grant admission to Diploma in automotive engineering on the basis of merit but some of them conduct entrance exams for the admission process. In this course, students learn about subjects like software engineering, electronic engineering, and safety engineering related to the design, manufacture, and operation of automobiles and their subsystems. Upon completion of the course, students can work in the job profile of automobile engineer, product engineer, design engineer, etc.
2. Diploma in Automotive Service Technology: This is a full-time automotive engineering course that imparts skills and knowledge to students in the subject matter. It enables them to practice safely and gain employability. Besides that candidates are able to use their hand, measuring, and power tools safely and effectively.
To pursue the course, you need to complete grade 12th preferably in the science stream from a recognised institution. Upon completion of the course, candidates will be able to provide general automotive maintenance services that include lubrication and fluids, body trim and hardware, tires and wheels, and a lot more. Interested students can visit the official websites of universities/institutes to know the admission process, charges, and other relevant details.
Undergraduate Automotive Engineering Courses
Unlike certificate and diploma courses, undergraduate automotive engineering courses include a wide range of subjects. In this course, students gain basic information, abilities, and other strategies related to automobile engineering. Usually, a bachelor’s in automotive engineering is a full-time four-year course offered by various institutes or universities across India. It enables you to refine your abilities and assist you to have a successful career.
B Tech Automotive Design Engineering
This is a full-time bachelor’s in Automotive engineering course with a duration of 4 years. With this engineering course, students learn a wide range of topics including maintenance of automobiles, manufacturing, and designing them. Through this undergraduate automotive engineering course, a Wide array of topics related to energy, environment, and transportation sector are included. These days, the focus is also put on the use of fossil and alternative fuels and the development of vehicles that use alternative fuels.
Hence, if a student wants to acquire admission in BTech Automotive Design Engineering Courses, then they have to complete grade 12 in the science stream with at least 55% marks in aggregate. However, admission to the colleges offering undergraduate automotive engineering courses is through entrance exams like BITS, JEE, WBJEE, etc.
Postgraduate Automotive Engineering Courses
The duration of Postgraduate courses in Automotive Engineering is 2 years. These courses are offered by different universities/institutes offline as well as in distance mode. The students who have studied in the field of Automotive engineering in their Bachelor’s are only eligible to apply for the PG courses. In this course, students get insights into practical aspects of the field.
MTech Automotive Engineering
When it is about Postgraduate automotive engineering courses, Mtech Automotive engineering is the popular choice. A candidate can apply for this course only if they have either completed B.E or B.Tech degree. The branches that are accepted for PG courses are Mechanical Engineering, Electrical, Electronics or production engineering, and Mechatronics. One can acquire admissions on the basis of merit and entrance tests like GATE.
This automobile engineering course covers the learning of the inner mechanisms of automobiles and their engines. Being an automotive engineer you will be responsible for the entire production process of vehicles. From planning, and designing to manufacturing and testing of vehicles comes under the job profile. Beyond that, you are also involved in the research and design aspects of different vehicles. Upon completion of the PG course, candidates get the opportunity to work as Mechanical engineers, Automobile engineers, Automobile Technicians, Quality Engineers, etc.
Career opportunities in Automotive Engineering
The main focus of automobile engineering courses is the management of concept development, manufacturing, operation, servicing of vehicles, and a lot more. Whenever we talk about Automobile engineering then it is particularly about the development and designing of automobiles. With the advent of electric vehicles, the demand for automotive engineers has increased manifold., Thus, if you are looking for a great career option in the engineering field then opt for automobile engineering courses.
A wide spectrum of career opportunities is available for the students who completed their B.Tech in Automobile engineering. They have the option to work after their bachelor’s or they can also further apply for higher studies in automotive engineering universities. If you are someone with sufficient computer knowledge then you can secure good positions in reputed companies just after your graduation. Let’s discuss some of the popular job profiles in automobile engineering:
1. Automobile Technician
One of the popular career options available for students pursuing automobile engineering courses is Automobile technician. Being an automobile specialist and mechanic, you are required to perform oil changes on the vehicles. The experts or the mechanics are often known as administration specialists who have to assess, maintain and fix the vehicles. One can expect to earn a salary of around 5-8LPA in this job profile. If you are someone who is fascinated by automobiles and want to work in this field then you can choose to become an automobile technician.
2. Quality Engineer
Another job profile that is popular among the candidates pursuing automotive engineering courses is of a quality engineer. They are the ones who are responsible to perform a quality check for guaranteeing the general nature of a fabricated item. A quality engineer entrusts a vehicle through various steps that include documentation, formulation of quality tests, and categorising the standards that a test should meet. Apart from that, they ensure to fix up all the issues that may appear during the duration of the quality check. The average salary of a quality engineer lies between 4-8LPA.
3. Automobile Designers
If a candidate pursues bachelor’s courses in automobile engineering, then they can expect to get hired as an automobile designer. To apply for such job roles you must have creativity in terms of vehicle designing. An automobile designer is one who uses both craftsmanship and engineering for investigating and making new vehicle plans. The plans should be such that ensure the well-being of the vehicles while remaining inside the administrative boundaries and making incredible-looking agreeable vehicles for the consumers. An automobile designer earns anywhere between 3-7LPA.
4. Mechanical Design Engineers
Once you complete Btech in Automotive engineering then you can choose to be a mechanical design engineer. In this job role, the engineers are the ones who are responsible to make, create and test the vehicles, their machines, instruments, and sensors. Being a mechanical design engineer, you are expected to tackle different issues that arise by applying the standards of material science and mechanics to the present reality. Additionally, you have to gather information on model execution and also direct the assembly process as per the plans. The average salary range of a mechanical design engineer is 5-8LPA.
5. Instrumentation Engineer
All the process of the production of a vehicle comes under the direction of an instrumentation engineer. They are the ones who are answerable for any type of control interaction. When a candidate completes an automotive engineering course and gets appointed as an instrumentation engineer they are the ones who are entrusted with arranging, planning, establishing, and improving the process. The job role also includes overseeing the groups who are in charge of controlling the framework for the effective setup.
List of Colleges for Pursuing Automotive Engineering Courses
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- ISBM School of Technology, Pune
- Trytoon Academy, Bhubaneswar
- Nettur Technical Training Foundation, Rajasthan
- Kalapurnam Institute, Ahmedabad
- Govt. Polytechnic College, Tamil Nadu
- Symbiosis International University, Pune
- PES University, Bangalore
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
- IIT Madras, Chennai
- SRM University, Chennai
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
How does SeekEx help?
Today, the automobile industry is the fastest growing industry. Numerous businesses are associated with the industry that tries to outperform one another concerning advancement in technology. This has increased the need for professionals who can understand the technology involved in automobiles and thus bring in new technologies in the field. Often people may not realise that this industry is quite vast and the scope of automobile engineers is wide. There are various electives available for the students to select. Before opting for a particular elective you must ensure ṭo determine the field that aligns with your interests and accordingly choose one.
SeekEx is a platform that provides the opportunity to take direct consultations with experts in the field. The experts will help the candidates to first explore their flaws and strengths. Further, they offer information about automotive engineering courses that would align with their interests. Thus, a student can accordingly choose an elective and enrol in the best college to start their rewarding and fulfilling career journey to become an automobile engineer.
In this blog, we discussed various types of automotive engineering courses, eligibility, and their scope. If you desire to have a successful career in engineering then you can opt for any of the mentioned courses and start your career in this field successfully. All the courses have their own significance although after certificate and diploma courses it is suggested to pursue Bachelor courses for better opportunities. Moreover, upon completion of bachelor’s courses, you can either choose to study further in this field by pursuing a postgraduate degree or you can choose to work in any reputed companies in your respective job profile. However, it’s essential to know the appropriate career path in this field for a successful future. Consult the career experts on the SeekEx app for choosing the right automotive engineer courses and shape your bright future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best automotive engineering course?
Bachelor’s courses in automotive engineering are considered the best.
What job profiles are available after the automotive engineering course?
The common job profiles after automotive engineering courses are Automobile technicians, quality engineers, instrumentation engineers, automobile designers, and production engineers.
Is automotive engineering a good career option?
Due to the rapid growth of auto components, the demand for automotive engineers is increasing. Thus it is a good career option.
Can I opt for an automotive engineering course after the 12th?
Yes, candidates can opt for diploma, certificate, and degree courses in automotive engineering after 12th
What is the average salary of an automotive engineer?
The average salary of an automotive engineer is between 4-8LPA.